The town hall was built in 1900 and Sir George Newnes, who was responsible for constructing the unusual stone and wooden building, wanted the hall to be “……a source of instruction and recreative pleasure, not only to the present inhabitants but to future generations.”
The site of Sir George Newnes’ Hollerday House can be found in the woods accessed by the road beside the Town Hall. After facing financial difficulties Sir George died in the house which was mysteriously burned to the ground three years after his death.
The cliff railway links Lynton to Lynmouth. The water-powered cliff railway, which operates on a counter-balanced system, dates from 1888. The railway usually operates between the middle of February and mid November and is a 5 minute walk from St. Vincent House.
The museum, St. Vincent’s Cottage, is next door to St. Vincent Guest House and is open from Easter to the end of October. It is probably the oldest domestic building and the museum is full of interesting local historical items, including old engravings and paintings, a Victorian doll’s house and agricultural implements from Exmoor farms.
Lynmouth can be reached by road, by the cliff railway or by walking down the steep zig-zag path. The path is accessed from Church Hill and has bridges crossing the track of the Cliff Railway.
The pretty harbour town of Lynmouth is steeped in history including tales of smugglers in former times. There are gift shops, an art studio and gallery, restaurants and pubs and a pebble beach. The Lynmouth Flood Memorial Hall provides information about the devastating flood of 1952 which destroyed buildings and in which 34 people were drowned.